1.09.2010

Brief More Recent Updates From Rose


January 5
Internet was down yesterday. In the afternoon, I worked up a sweat getting the missionary gift packages together. The Lau kids were enlisted to help. They did a great job.

In the evening, we bought some food at a local stand. We were a little shocked at the conditions, but ate it anyway... after reheating it back at the ranch. I have been blessed with good energy, but went to bed early last night.

Today we worked all morning on the conference, prepping on site at Sahel Academy. We planned tomorrow's schedule. We made labels for each kids' water cups. We rearranged the classroom for our main meeting room. We split up our supplies. It went well. The Sahel campus was inspiring. Then we had a late lunch. We did our big souvenir shopping trip {Carl adds--Nobody get their hopes up.}. Then we went out to dinner at a hotel restaurant for our team's one eating-out experience.

3 mosquito bites so far despite the bug spray. They are biting me through two layers of clothes.

January 7
Yesterday was just plain full, so I didn't post. The morning started with Bible starting at 4AM (lots of time in the Word) and kitchen prep stuff. Even cutting vegetables is different. We are being cautious. For instance, the lettuce is bleached and then rinsed in filtered water.

Kendrick took us shopping. For some of us on the team it was the last chance. Kendrick is expert at haggling. Then the conference started. We handed out the gifts at registration. The missionaries were excited to receive them! Yesterday was big group time. I helped chop up veggies in the kitchen.

I got into two in-depth conversations with missionaries after dinner. Then I came home and had a good talk with Kendrick and Alicia.

This morning was hard. I had misunderstood Shaun about wake-up time and missed the opportunity to see my younger 3 kids via Skype. It was a great disappointment and triggered sorrow in empathizing with missionaries last night about how hard it was to send their kids to boarding school.

Mike Arzie has done a great job with the talks. Shaun has done a great time with the games and activities. I feel our small group times with my 8 girls has gone well. I love these kids. They are great. I think the kids are having a great time.

Mark Sherman has got a challenge with the worship. With playing new songs. And many are in French. I am truly enjoying the refresher in French.

The food has been great.

Everyone has been a joy to talk to and many seem to have so much to say. We watched I AM DAVID tonight, but dispersed pretty quickly afterward to go home.

January 8
This morning cut up some papaya (?) for breakfast, made coffee, and had time in the Word. Then we were off for the conference to start at 8:30AM. Mike's talk was on journaling. It was powerpoint.

Small group time. Game of synchronized swimming. Was a success. Lunch. Siesta time. Took a nap. Worship. Talk on glorifying God. Small group time. Decided to teach on the Fact, Faith, Feeling train with extra time. They seemed to be tracking with me well. Then we left for our campfire time which was about a 45 min. drive away. Got smore fixings ready. Had a picnic dinner out there. It was nice. Kids had a blast. We've got an amazing group of kids here.

Saturday will be our last full day. Sun will probably start with a morning session, then we'll all disperse.

{Note from Carl: I told Rose I thought her updates were blog worthy (am I biased?) and asked her to consider posting some. She said, "I don't know how to blog." so I took the liberty to compile some for her. Anything good here she gets credit for...bad is all me.}

No comments:

Post a Comment